Thread: Good (or bad?) vibrations

Good (or bad?) vibrations

I had a slate path installed in the garden last summer and it went right to the edge of the pond. There were enough slates left over, however, to extend it all around the pond, which is what I would like to do this summer. The installation process included a substrate of 'wack' ? a material that goes on like fine gravel and is then pounded down into something like cement, about 6" deep. The large machine that does all the pounding is intense and vibrations from it could be felt far across the lawn.

My question is this: Could the violent thumping, so closely framing the edges of the pond, hurt the fish? At the very least, they would definitely feel the vibes. Would it just freak them out or might it kill them? Depending on whatever answers I get, I will change my plans.

Many thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherhord View Post
    I had a slate path installed in the garden last summer and it went right to the edge of the pond. There were enough slates left over, however, to extend it all around the pond, which is what I would like to do this summer. The installation process included a substrate of 'wack' ? a material that goes on like fine gravel and is then pounded down into something like cement, about 6" deep. The large machine that does all the pounding is intense and vibrations from it could be felt far across the lawn.
    My question is this: Could the violent thumping, so closely framing the edges of the pond, hurt the fish? At the very least, they would definitely feel the vibes. Would it just freak them out or might it kill them? Depending on whatever answers I get, I will change my plans.

Many thanks for any advice.
    I'm almost certain the vibration will not hurt the fish. They may get spooked and like people their reactions will vary. I would put a hiding place in the pond like an empty can garbage can on its side with a rock to stabilize it if necessary. Put it in a week before the project so the fish get used to it and start using it to hide or seek shelter. Just think of a way to let the fish escape somewhat the strange noises. They'll get somewhat used it as it goes on for a day (or two?) but I'm pretty sure with a place to go they'll accept this noise/vibration and will realize it's not going to hurt them. It's possible if it's a garbage can that some of the vibrations will be muted inside that space too. Try this and do watch the fish reactions and you can always as a last resort stop the tamping but my bet is they'll get used it. I'm also trusting your pond's not too small. the bigger the better. Over 800 gallons will also reduce the strength of the vibrations. If anyone else out there thinks differently perhaps we'll hear from them too.

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed