Thread: treated lumber supporting new deck around pond

treated lumber supporting new deck around pond

Hi all
    Looking for some advice on new deck by pond. I want to build a deck along the front edge of my pond. I think it will over hang the water(so kids can hang feet in) about 6". The deck material will be composite but the framing underneath? I read that today's treated lumber no longer has arsenic in it but I am very concerned about possibly affecting my pond creatures(ducks, fish, turtles). I thought maybe I could flash the underside with something to force runoff away from pond but still very concerned.
    Any guidance would be extremely appreciated
    Thanks
    Daryl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8964.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	10515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150428_114335.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	10516

RESPONSE:
    Not sure if this is universally true but let me share my personal experience. First of all nice going asking about this. It's a legit question. I do believe, however, that you'll have no problems. I covered one end of my pond, about an 8' diameter end of my pond with treated joists. I then used cedar for the deck. I lived with this through 13 seasons now in my 14th with never any affect on the water quality but lots of rain and melted snow each year in a Chicago suburb. I then replaced the cedar deck with "new" treated decking from Menards that was specifically rated for near zero runoff of chemicals. I kept my original treated joists My pond was rather large as ponds go, 8,000 gallons means lots of dilution of any poison, but unless your pond is under say 300 gallons, I can't imagine any issues. But consider using the Menards zero runoff treated wood if you have one of their stores nearby, or look for a similarly advertised product.

Can treated decking cause pond health issues?

Here are a couple pics of my pond built with treated joists. It's now 13 years old and there's never been a fish health issue from possible run off from the treated wood. The opening was used to install a walk on window. Looks great at night.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deck shot wBoards closed_resize.JPG 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	10523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elburn deck window resized_resize.jpg 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	10524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gpa Gary and Baby Ryan Elburn_resize.jpg 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	10525

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed