Thread: Cloudy green water 3000 gallon fish won't come up to surface

Cloudy green water 3000 gallon fish won't come up to surface

I've tried ABA, barley, the blue stuff..waiting for algae fix to come in the mail. My pond has one pump plus another one for the uv light. It's still green and cloudy. The fish won't come up. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Vascik View Post
    I've tried ABA, barley, the blue stuff..waiting for algae fix to come in the mail. My pond has one pump plus another one for the uv light. It's still green and cloudy. The fish won't come up. Any suggestions?
    Where are the experts on this board? Answers used to be given quickly and now nothing. I am no expert and I hope you've somehow solved your problem. I use hydrogen peroxide to keep my water clear. When I first inherited the pond, I would worry about everything and spend lots of money on expensive products that really didn't help much, if at all. Now, after 10 years I am so much more relaxed. And I have discovered my goldfish are really a hearty bunch.

Personally, I wish I didn't have the darned thing. I've replace two pumps over the last four or five years and they're not cheap. Cleaning it is a pain which I dread. But I've got it and it pretty well has learned to take care of itself. If it doesn't, I'm filling it in.
    Ken

Whom the gods would destroy, they first give a pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Vascik View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. Green water should have been fairly easily cleared by your UV light unless it's older and the output has dropped. I've never used a UV but Aquascape does sell them for situations just like you're experiencing. The reasons I've not used a UV on my own ponds is I've always set them up as Ecosystems with a thin layer of marble sized to golf ball sized gravel just enough to cover the stream liner and pond liner. Then I added pond bacteria, usually dry but liquid in the beginning as it's faster acting. With those elements and not too many fish and a good pump turning the pond over every 2 hours or so, I've always had crystal clear water. I also use a skimmer to clear junk off the surface and remove it from the pond but you shouldn't need a skimmer just to get clear water. Don't overfeed the fish, try several days without feeding them as there's food in the pond so they won't starve. garywittstock@aquascapeinc.com

It's a bad sign, usually, when the fish don't come up but that can happen if a predator visited recently like a Heron? Or the tap water you're using to fill the pond has too much chlorine? If so use Pond Detoxifier. And sometimes even fresh tap water can contain excess nitrates and still be considered potable. The high nitrates will feed green algae blooms. Usually at least green water is fine with the fish as the algae will act as a powerful filter. So I'm a little puzzled by the fish not acting normal, assuming they were coming up for food before?

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed