Thread: Dark film on rock

Dark film on rock

I installed my new pond, liner,bio falls , skimmer and river rock and small boulders late fall. It was so late that I decided to wait fill it with water until spring and covered it up with visqueen. This spring I uncovered it and power washed it before filling it up then I filled it up part way and pumped it out. It sat empty for about a month. I filled the pond with water added the de chlorinater , pond clean and beneficial bacteria. A day later I had a 100 year rain 6 inches in a matter of five hours or more. The pond over flowed. The third day I noticed that all the rock in the pond had a film on it . I rubbed a handful of the river rock. Tossed it into the pond and the rocks were clean. What can I use to clean the film on the rocks and boulders. The bio falls stone is clean and has no film . The film on the rocks makes the water look like a tea color . I have no fish or plants in the pond.
    Last edited by Mini den; 06-08-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Tea colored water & film on rocks after flood

Quote Originally Posted by Mini den View Post
    I installed my new pond, liner,bio falls , skimmer and river rock and small boulders late fall. It was so late that I decided to wait fill it with water until spring and covered it up with visqueen. This spring I uncovered it and power washed it before filling it up then I filled it up part way and pumped it out. It sat empty for about a month. I filled the pond with water added the de chlorinater , pond clean and beneficial bacteria. A day later I had a 100 year rain 6 inches in a matter of five hours or more. The pond over flowed. The third day I noticed that all the rock in the pond had a film on it . I rubbed a handful of the river rock. Tossed it into the pond and the rocks were clean. What can I use to clean the film on the rocks and boulders. The bio falls stone is clean and has no film . The film on the rocks makes the water look like a tea color . I have no fish or plants in the pond.
    Not sure but it sounds like your pond has no fish or plants yet? In that case perhaps the least expensive but time-consuming way to clean the rocks and clear up the water might be to drain the pond, hose down or pressure wash the rocks and gravel and refill it. If your fish and plants are already in place then I'd first wade into the pond with a broom to physically brush the dirt or film off the rocks. Keep the pond stirred up by walking into it a couple times/day so the dirt stays in suspension and your pond filter can catch the dirt over a period of a few days. Doesn't sound like algae yet, which is beneficial, but more like settled dirt/sediment from the heavy flooding. The tea color is usually attributed to dissolved organics, particularly mulch that surrounds the pond but the flooding may have carried enough of the tannins or the mulch itself into the pond. To clear up the tannins without draining we recommend Activated Pond Carbon. Our 2.2 lb container treats 800 gallons, MSRP $19.98. PN is 80000, available on line and from most retailers. If the film is actually new algae growth, be thankful. All your fish will graze on the algae and the algae is nature's way to filter the water of fish waste and other nutrients. If the algae ever becomes overwhelming we have water treatments for that condition.

Quote Originally Posted by PondFather View Post
    Not sure but it sounds like your pond has no fish or plants yet? In that case perhaps the least expensive but time-consuming way to clean the rocks and clear up the water might be to drain the pond, hose down or pressure wash the rocks and gravel and refill it. If your fish and plants are already in place then I'd first wade into the pond with a broom to physically brush the dirt or film off the rocks. Keep the pond stirred up by walking into it a couple times/day so the dirt stays in suspension and your pond filter can catch the dirt over a period of a few days. Doesn't sound like algae yet, which is beneficial, but more like settled dirt/sediment from the heavy flooding. The tea color is usually attributed to dissolved organics, particularly mulch that surrounds the pond but the flooding may have carried enough of the tannins or the mulch itself into the pond. To clear up the tannins without draining we recommend Activated Pond Carbon. Our 2.2 lb container treats 800 gallons, MSRP $19.98. PN is 80000, available on line and from most retailers. If the film is actually new algae growth, be thankful. All your fish will graze on the algae and the algae is nature's way to filter the water of fish waste and other nutrients. If the algae ever becomes overwhelming we have water treatments for that condition.
    thank you

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed