2011 Pond Builder of the Year
    Premium Aquascapes
    Certified Aquascape Contractor
    Water Garden Excellence member
    NJ Landscape Contractors Association
    www.premiumaquascapes.com
    Follow us on FaceBook!
    www.facebook.com/premiumaquascapes

Or wooden stakes. Once the ice freezes, it will not move.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

I love my TBH!!!

I do love my tote box heater. Unfortunately, I picked up an appliance bulb thinking it would be the heartiest bulb for the job. However, it was not an appliance bulb at all, just looked like one. It was a ceiling fan bulb. I guess they make them smaller than regular bulbs to fit into ceiling fan fixtures. Well, it lasted about 3 weeks. It was a two pack, so the second one is in because today is Christmas and all the good stores (hardware stores) are closed. Tomorrow I will search for one of those coated bulbs everyone is talking about.

Here's another idea, bulbs are judged by their efficiency... how much heat they produce for the amount of light they emit. If algea is a problem, then what we really want is more heat and less light (a really inefficient bulb). Is there such a thing? Also, has anyone tried painting the lower half of the bulb so there is less light being directed into the pond. I attempted this with a marker. When I changed the bulb I ended up with a fist full of ink. Anyone with a positive result, I know some of you must have tried this?
    Last edited by Thatonegoodman; 12-27-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Modification

Chuck (ahhuhz) and Chris (Chris432):

I have made another small modification to the Tote Box Heater. I was worried that I would not know if the bulb had burnt out during the day (requiring me to wait all night & 'til the following day to change the bulb) so I installed a bicycle mirrow to reflect the light from my TBH directly through my kitchen window. Let me know what you think. Obviously, I could not have done this had it not been for Chris' modification... the transparent recepticle cover. Thanks Chris, and thanks Chuck for the original post. There may be the added benefit... all the light that is coming to my kitchen is not promoting algae growth!!! Check out the pics.

Kenneth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote Box Heater 003.jpg   Tote Box Heater 005.jpg   Tote Box Heater 006.jpg  
    Last edited by Thatonegoodman; 01-15-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: P.S. the second light in the night pic is the street light!

Whatever works for you! As long as it does not let out the little heat that is generated.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Daytime pic

Here's the daytime pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote Box Heater.jpg  

ronfab Guest

Tote tip over

Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent the tote from tipping over. Good thing mine is on a ground fault. We been having high winds lately and the ice isn't real thick yet in Upstate NY.

Ron

I tied the four lower corners out to the sides of the pond and it keep it solid.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

I have used this for several years now. I also cut a door on the side near the lightbulb. I cut it open on 3 sides, inserted a screw & nut for a handle to open when it is frozen in the ice and the bulb goes out, it is easy to change. I usually run a 40w heavy service bulb and with Chicago winters we do just fine, sometimes up to 7-8 inches of ice.

Jane

Razoola Guest
    Seems not just being new to the forum I'll going to be the first to bring this thread back for the coming winter.

I am in southern Finland and I'm going to be building myself a couple of these. I have a few concerns however and don't think they have been covered already. For previous winters I have used airstones to keep the ice open, that is not enough on its own however every day I would need to venture onto the ice to melt it above where the air domes would be (three to four times a day sometimes). If there is deep snow it allows the water to stay open in lower tempretures. We have a mud pond btw.

My main concern is foam creation inside the tote which in theory could reach the bulbs and cause a short. Has anyone experianced this?

Is the light created going to in any way affect the fish?

Has anyone had problems with wind blowing the tote over or away?

My last question is about design. Has anyone tried using insulation around the outside of the tote which in turn could allow you to use a less powerfull bulb witout comprimising effect. Ie a single 40w or even 25w?

Regards, Adam.

I use a 25w bulb, either heavy duty or even an appliance. Make sure you cut a door in the side to be able tochange the bulb as you will go through several in the winter. Last year we got about 2feet of snow over the box and it was completely covered with a glow through the snow of the light. We normally get about 7-8" of ice on the pond but so far it has never iced over under the tote no matter how cold it gets. I did drill a hole on each end and put a small anchor on each end in the water to keep it more stable because of the winds. I also tie it to a post from both ends at the top and with both of these it works well. I am going on about 7yrs or so with the same one. I have only replaced the foam sides. Most important is not to have your pump very high where it will splash water and possible pop the bulb if water hits is. Make sure it just breaks the water.

Jane

Wow, the Tote is still going strong. Six years since I started this post and it is still going strong. Amazing how something so cheap to run and it works so well. I would use a 60w commercial grade bulb and the bubbler under it. I used small slits in the sides for ventillation to let the gases out and a trap door for bulb changing. I live in a much warmer climate now so no need for the tote.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

This is a very good idea. I might have to make myself one in the fall.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ronfab View Post
    Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent the tote from tipping over. Good thing mine is on a ground fault. We been having high winds lately and the ice isn't real thick yet in Upstate NY.

Ron

Outriggers

I used pvc through the pool noodles and then foam insulation designed for pipe on the pvc. It was the wrong time of year to get more noodles.

This was the before pic. The wind blew my heater upside down twice with the light still on underwater.

I think this year I'm going to try using one of those "appliance" bulbs sold for use in ovens and refrigerators. Might have better longevity, ya think? Denise, I like the idea to cut a flap in the side to enable a bulb change while the tote is frozen in the ice. I'll definitely do that. It would also make a nice way to take a peek at the kids in the middle of winter.

you guys got good heaters.

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed