Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tote Box Heater

Tote Box Heater

Back by popular demand is the tote box heater! I will also include the shopping list to build it.

1. A tote box, mine is about 16 1/2" W x 23 1/2 L x 15 1/2" H.
    2. One or two swimming noodles
    3. two outdoor electrical cords with grounding plugs
    4. one round 4" box
    5. one double light fixture
    6. two waterproof connectors
    7. two heavy duty 60 watt bulbs
    8. two short bolts to connect the box to the tote box.

I use two separate cords on mine. One cord is connected to one bulb socket and the other cord is connected to the second socket. I plug in just one 60 w bulb and keep the second for a spare in case the bulb burns out and the box is frozen in the ice, I simply plug in the second cord and presto, a new 60w light.

Questions, please ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote1.JPG  
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Picture two. Note the slits in the side of the tote to allow a little air to circulate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote2.JPG  
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Picture three
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote3.JPG   Tote4.JPG  
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

The tote at work in winter. It keeps a good size hole open in the ice with just one 60watt bulb.

I also use my bubbler pump under the tote. It has worked for three years for me and I'm sure it will for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tote5.JPG  
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Pondgirl Guest
    Hi Chuck, Thanks for doing this, we'll drop the POP sticky soon and replace it with this if we ask Conor really nice.

I agree good idea Chuck getting this on early it is just amazing how well it works! great idea with the 2 cords/bulbs thats good r&d haha!
    take what you think it will cost or how hard it is and double or triple it should work out close with a pond!

Wondering if something like this will work in my area? My county is zoned 4A/3B and I know we get lots of ice on the lakes around here.

It should, I am in the mountains of NE Pa. and I get 6" of ice on the pond and lots of loads of snow. There are people out your way that have used them with success. They are very cheap to operate, only one 60w bulb.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Chuck it must be hot there if you are thinking about winter this early
    Jackie

Hi Chuck,
    Great pics for folks who are going to go through their first winter this year. On our totes, we cut a larger slit on the side so when a bulb burned out, we lifted the flap and changed the bulb. It helped us when the tote box froze in place. Like you, we also placed our bubbler under the box. No problems here, either. Great invention!!!!
    Denise
    Save a life - adopt a Greyhound.

I always heard one 60W bulb will work...two is the way to go?
    www.urbanfalls.com

one bulb is all you need on at a time Urbanfalls the deal Chuck made is in case a bulb goes out and the tote is frozen in the ice where it cant be removed which many people will tell you it happens haha all you do is plug the other cord in! I use rough service drop light bulbs way better than house bulbs you can almost throw them and they still work I didnt change a bulb all winter I use 75 watt cause thats the lowest power my parts houses carry.
    take what you think it will cost or how hard it is and double or triple it should work out close with a pond!

what a great idea. lol that is how people become rich.
    John
    www.brooksponds.com

Milwaukee Wi... "Algonquin for the good land"
    saw you used the Thermopond floating heater...

In my opinion that was the biggest waste of money I ever threw in the pond. It froze over 3 times on me in the WI winter....

Otherwise... nice idea, I may end up building one....

I had thermostat problems with mine, lost a few of them. The latest model is supposed to be better. I usually got a floating ice ring around the inside. The tote box is much better. Can't have enough openings for the kids to breath.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Noodles huh?

So THAT is a noodle... who would have known? Everyone but me I guess.

Good stuff Chuck.

Mel in Dubuque
    My pond and stream are a dream come true.
    Rocks, Rocks, lotsa rocks.
    Plants, plants, lotsa plants.
    And a few fish, too

Pondgirl Guest
    LOL Mel, I had no idea what he was talking about when he first bought it up, dont feel alone, I thought we were talking about soup!

You need to talk to some Youngins, haha. they know!
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Cool

I might just skip the Youngins and go get me a tote, some wire, a light bulb and two "noodles." What I wonder, what was not on the shopping list was the most important thing; what do you use to hold the noodles on to the tote, super glue?

Thanks Chuck. Since it is about 94 degrees out today, I think I am not in too big a hurry.
    My pond and stream are a dream come true.
    Rocks, Rocks, lotsa rocks.
    Plants, plants, lotsa plants.
    And a few fish, too

You can probably just use one noodle but nice to have a spare.

I use plastic wire straps. I drill a couple of holes in the tote near the top rim and use the straps to fasten it in place.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Chuck.... when are you going to patent this?
    Melanie DanFan13

Hi Mel,
    Actually, I got the box idea from G. back when I really needed it, in January three years ago.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Stupid question, but I'm gonna ask- I doubt my pond will freeze- I live in Tx the Dallas area, we get some snow, some cold weather, and some freezes. Should I be considering some sort of a heating device? What will my fish do if it does get really cold? Hadn't even considered heating my little pond.....I know my pool has a freeze guard on it that is on frequently in the winter, do I need heat in the pond too? My pond is only 5' x 7' and 20" deep....

I would buy those noodles NOW, I'm sure they'll be gone in a few weeks!!
    Love my pond!

Hi there.........I'm new to this forum.

I've been ponding for only 3 years now.........I live just North of Toronto Canada in Zone 5.
    The 1st Winter was OK. I covered the pond with a tarp and supported it like a tent with 2 x 4's. I figured any day with sun, it would be a bit warmer under the tarp. In late March, I peeked under the tarp to see if everyting was OK, and was delighted to see ALL my fish--still alive and NO ICE. MY neighbour has a pond as well--leaves his uncovered, and still had at least 6" of ice at the same time.
    I didn't use a heater or a bubbler, and kept the tarp on all the time.

Last year wasn't so good. I closed the pond the same way, but waited a 2 weeks longer to do it. Many leaves got into it, and I couldn't get them all out. I guess it made the water toxic and as a result, all my fish died.

Your idea for the tote bin heater is great, anf I'm going to give it a try this Winter. I'll cover the pond same as before with the tarp till' all the Fall leaves are gone, then open it up and try your idea.

What do you think?? Any other Zone 5 ponders have any luck with the tote idea??
    It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything.....

Brrrrrrrr!!--------------Zone 5!

Jeff,
    Many people have had good luck with this heater and most have not covered the pond over the winter. We use a leaf net over it to keep out most of the leaves then remove it before the pond freezes. We also use a net to pull out any leaves that may have gotten past the net.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

Chuck,

I am certainly going to give this a try this winter .. hoping this winter won't be as bad as last year. Thank you for the detailed instructions/parts list - I am confident I can assemble it myself. Used the ADI winter return last year - worked ok until we got blasted with a foot of snow - everything froze so I unplugged the pump. What are your ideas on keeping a small fountain pump going underneath the tote? Pond is 3 ft deep -Is an aerator the better way to go?

In frame #4, I mention using a bubbler pump, mine is 200 GPM under the tote. I have it on the plant shelf with the tote box over it. It needs to bubble about an inch above the surface. It works like a charm for me.
    Chuck
    Happy Koi Keeper!
    AKC

It's a slick lil concept indeed. I used one last winter and it did a good job. My only modification.. well not even that, really.. was to forgoe the noodles. Since I have a bridge, I just attached a board near the top of the tote and then attached the tote assembly to the bridge via the board.

Thumbs up

I think this year I'm going to try using one of those "appliance" bulbs sold for use in ovens and refridgerators. Might have better longevity, ya think? Denise, I like the idea to cut a flap in the side to enable a bulb change while the tote is frozen in the ice. I'll definately do that. It would also make a nice way to take a peek at the kids in the middle of winter.
    Go Fish.

Hi Pond Scum,
    The slits in the side really helped. We didn't have to put our 1200 watt heater near the tote to thaw the ice so we could lift out the tote to change a bulb. Just simply open the slit. By the way, the tote with the slit did not function any less effective heat-wise than the one without the slit. Both holes in the ice were the same size. (We tested it out before cutting slits in all our tote boxes). Unfortunately, usually when we peeked inside all we saw was algae! Those bulbs you mentioned sounds like a good idea.
    Denise
    Save a life - adopt a Greyhound.

About Watergardening.com

Watergardening.com is a forum devoted to water feature enthusiasts all over the world.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube RSS Feed